My name is Theresa. I am in my senior year at Saint Mary's College of California and this blog is for my "Urban Food Justice" Jan Term class. I will be using this blog to share with everyone what we are learning and discussing in our class along with the service work we will be doing with People's Grocery in West Oakland. We are reading Slow Food Nation by Carlo Petrini and Food Not Lawns by H.C. Flores. I hope you enjoy and are empowered by what I share about my learning experiences. Salute!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Food for Thoughts

While researching for my final paper (on why eating/buying locally is necessary for food justice) I stumbled upon an amazing book, that i think every person should read: Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed, by Michael Pollan, Carlo Petrini, Jamey Lionette, Prince Charles and Vandana Shiva. This book explores everything we have been discussing in this class and more. Here is some food for thought from the Manifestos...

"We live in a world where of the 80,000 edible plants used for food, only about 150 are being cultivated, and just eight are traded globally. A world where we produce food for 12 billion people when there are only 6.3 billion living, and still, 800 million suffer from malnutrition. A world where food is cultivated to survive long distance travel rather than be nutritious and flavorful."

"Distance is the enemy of awareness." Smith & MacKinnon from Plenty, Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet

If you knew the history of your food... where it came from, how it was grown, how it got to you, etc... would you still want to eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment